From Woody's Couch

Our Playbook on OSU History

Page 70 of 105

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: 7 “Saints” first served OSU in scholarship

University Hall

When The Ohio State University opened its doors on September 17, 1873, seven faculty members were there to teach the two dozen students who had arrived to obtain a college degree. At the time there was only one building on campus – University Hall – and it included not only classrooms, but a chapel, a library and living quarters for both students and some faculty members. The faculty lived on the top floor; consequently, that part of the building was known by students as the “Saints’ Roost.” (The students lived in the cellar, referring to it as “Purgatory.”) Thomas Mendenhall, the last surviving faculty member, recalled in 1920 that these men were underpaid, all lacking a Ph.D at the time of their appointment, and were given charge of a broad area of study that would shock the “modern” professor. Given these conditions, is it any wonder why the students came up with the “Saints” nickname?

Edward Orton, 1875

Edward S. Orton Sr. (1829 – 1899) was originally from New York where he graduated from Hamilton College at age 17. The following year he went to seminary and taught at several institutions before becoming professor, then president, at Antioch College in Ohio. A year later he was named the first President of the new Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College and the chair of Geology. Orton also developed the first campus museum in University Hall. In 1881 Orton resigned from his duties as President in order to serve as state geologist. He was 44 when he took the appointment, and held it until his death eight years later.

 

 

Robert McFarland, 1873

Robert W. McFarland (1825 – 1910) was a self-educated Scotsman, who, despite his lack of a formal education, was described as having knowledge that was “encyclopedic.” While at OSU, and in addition to his teaching duties, he apparently worked for several hours a day, six days a week, for four years, to calculate the form of the earth’s orbit and the longitude of its perihelion for the previous  five and a half million years. McFarland taught at the College until 1885 when he accepted the presidency at Miami University.

 

 

T.C. Mendenhall, 1873

Thomas Corwin Mendenhall (1841 – 1924), from Columbus, was a renowned physicist and scientist whose education was attained through public schools. He had previously taught at Columbus’ Central High School, and came to the new college for five years before leaving to join the faculty at the Imperial University of Japan. Three years later he returned to Ohio, and the College, before resigning in 1884 to pursue other academic interests. In 1919 he was named to the Board of Trustees of the renamed Ohio State University, and he served in this capacity until his death in 1924 at the age of 83.

 

 

Joseph Millikin, 1873

Joseph Millikin (1840 – 1882) taught English and modern languages and literature at the College as well as serving as the school’s librarian. Originally from Hamilton, Ohio, he graduated from Miami University at the age of 19, then attended Princeton Theological Seminary with an intent to become a minister. Known for his frail health, he came to the College in 1872 and was remembered as teaching philosophy in addition to Latin, Greek, French, German, Anglo-Saxon and the Romance languages, depending on the session. He taught at the College until 1881, at which point his poor health forced his resignation. He died in 1882.

 

 

S.A. Norton, 1888

Sidney Augustus Norton (1835 – 1918), of Cincinnati, taught at several high schools before being appointed professor of chemistry at Miami Medical College in Cincinnati, where he received his medical degree. He taught chemistry at the new College from 1873 until 1899 when he was appointed professor emeritus. Norton also had a reputation for his broad intellect, being familiar with many different branches of science, as well as history, literature and the arts.

 

 

N.S. Townshend, 1883

 

Norton Strange Townshend (1815 – 1895) was the eldest original faculty member to be appointed, at 58 years old. He first served as a Trustee for the new College, but resigned from this position so he could be named professor of agriculture. He served the University as a professor until January 1892, and afterwards was named professor emeritus. Originally from Northamptonshire, England, he journeyed with his parents to Ohio in 1830 and received his medical degree from the University of New York in 1840. He became involved with both the temperance and the anti-slavery movements, and was elected to Congress in 1850. He died at his home, on the University grounds, in 1895.

J.H. Wright, 1874

 

John Henry Wright (1852 – 1908) was both the last original faculty member to be appointed as well as the youngest, at age 21. He was born in Persia, to missionary parents, and he came to America when he was eight years old. He graduated from Dartmouth in 1873, and after arriving at what was to become Ohio State, he was one of the faculty members to live in University Hall during the college’s first year. Though he arrived with virtually no teaching experience, he was knowledgeable in the areas he taught (Ancient languages and literatures) and was said to have made a lasting impression on his students. He stayed at the college only for three years; he eventually taught at Harvard, where he also served as dean of the graduate school for many years.

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: OSU’s 8th President left lasting legacy

Fawcett speaking during his Inauguration, 1957

President No. 8 for Ohio State was Novice G. Fawcett, a native of Gambier, Ohio, who was born in 1909. He had never served in higher education until he was tapped as president in 1957, but his skills as a public school system administrator helped him move the university forward significantly and allowed him to weather a number of significant crises during his 16-year term.

After attending Kenyon College (where he graduated in 1931), Fawcett earned a master’s degree in education from OSU in 1937.  At the same time, he served as the superintendent of schools in Gambier. A year later, he became superintendent of schools for Defiance, Ohio, then for Bexley, Ohio, in 1943.  In 1947, he became assistant superintendent for Akron and became superintendent for Columbus Public Schools in 1949. Fawcett served with then-OSU President Howard Bevis on the Ohio Committee on Expanding Student Population before his inauguration as OSU President on April 29, 1957.

When Fawcett assumed his duties as president of OSU, 21,000 students attended the Columbus campus, $2 million was spent on research annually, and buildings and equipment were valued at $88 million. In his inaugural address, “Toward a New Level of Greatness,” he laid out an ambitious plan to move the University forward in a number of ways, such as research, continuing education, administrative improvement and the use of new technologies in the classroom. When he retired in 1972, 50,000 students attended OSU’s main and new regional campuses, $26 million was spent annually on research, and the value of buildings and equipment neared $400 million.

Fawcett’s term was also a time of significant social disruption and turbulence on campus.  Among the subjects of student demonstrations were discrimination in university housing and off-campus housing, the “Speaker’s Rule,” which restricted who could speak on campus, and was considered an abridgement of free speech. Women’s rights, minority rights, and the Vietnam War also were key topics of dissent.

Speaker’s Rule Demonstration, 1965

One of the highlights of Fawcett’s tenure was the creation of the Office of Continuing Education, which was originally housed at the Center for Tomorrow on Olentangy River Road. To honor Fawcett’s role in creating this division, and for his legacy at the University as a whole, the building was renamed the Novice G. Fawcett Center for Tomorrow in June 1972, two months before Fawcett left office.

Fawcett Center, 1975

Fawcett died in 1998; he was 79 years old.

1970

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: Title IX’s impact still felt at OSU

Since its passage was 40 years ago this year, we would like to focus on Title IX legislation, which had a huge impact on OSU and other universities across the nation.

In 1972 U.S. President Gerald Ford signed legislation that required all schools, colleges and universities receiving federal funding to offer equal educational opportunities for men and women. The institutions had three years to comply with the law, known as Title IX, or lose funding. For Ohio State, this meant significant changes.

Title IX’s initial impact would be felt greatly by the Department of Athletics because the law required not only equal opportunity to play sports, but also equal facilities, travel expenses, scholarships, coaching, tutoring, scheduling, and expenditures. Title IX made one exception in that it never required schools to allow women to play contact sports.

Phyllis Bailey, 1974

Because of the law, 12 women’s sports were added, women’s locker rooms were installed at the French Field House, and a women’s athletics director – Phyllis Bailey – was hired to oversee the women’s programs. Women also received scholarships, were recruited, received priority scheduling for classes and facilities like the men, and could get tutoring, uniforms and help with travel expenses, none of which they had had before Title IX.

Marching Band, 1973

However, organized sports were just one area of student life that was affected. For instance, the OSU Marching Band had to add women to its ranks; Mortar Board, the honorary society for female students, had to allow men to join; and the freshman honoraries for men and women were combined into one co-ed organization.

On the academic side of University life, the impact also was pronounced: OSU and other universities could not discriminate against women in hiring, promotion and tenure. At OSU, a number of grassroots groups for women faculty and staff were founded, which eventually led to the formation in 1996 of a task force to create an organization that would ensure women would be able to succeed and advance at OSU. The Women’s Place was formally founded in 2000, and it still works to improve the climate for women on campus.

« Older posts Newer posts »