From Woody's Couch

Our Playbook on OSU History

Category: Sports (page 12 of 13)

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: First home for men’s basketball

(You can tell we’re really getting into the holiday spirit here because this post begins to the first lines of the tune, “Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer:”)

You know St. John Arena and Schottenstein Center

Where watching OSU hoops just doesn’t get better

But do you recall?

The first place Ohio State played basketball?

Armory, 1918

The program’s first home was actually the Armory, a massive brick building that used to stand just about where the Wexner Center is, but was razed in 1959 after a huge fire. The  Armory was home to OSU’s men’s basketball team from 1898 until 1919.

Also known as Drill Hall or the Gymnasium, the Armory was built in 1897 at a cost of $115,000. For many years the Armory was home to the Department of Military Science and the men’s gymnasium, and it hosted events such as campus dances, commencement and intermural sports. The exterior was designed much like a medieval castle, including turrets at each corner of the building.

Men's physical education class in the Armory, 1908

In 1918 the University received an official order to allow the military to take over the entire building because of World War I, and the basketball team was left without a place to practice or hold home games. A few home games were then held at Indianola Park (a long-gone amusement park located on High Street just north of the Giant Eagle in Clintonville). In 1919 the basketball team continued to have complications with its use of the Armory and started the season late in January continuing until March. During the team’s time in Armory, the Buckeyes had an overall record of 178-104.

In 1920 the team moved to the Coliseum at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Built in 1918, the Coliseum was also known as “the Barn” and continues to be the site for high school basketball playoff games. With the ability to seat more than 6,000 fans, the Coliseum drew the largest crowds ever to watch Ohio State Basketball games.

Basketball game in the Coliseum, 1948

It is also noted that school interest and spirit in basketball grew immensely.

During its stretch at the Coliseum, the team played in five national title games, including the first-ever such matchup in 1939 against the University of Oregon in which the Buckeyes lost 33-46. With an overall record of 403-334 and six Big Ten Conference titles, the Buckeyes stopped playing at the Coliseum in 1956, after St. John Arena was built.

 

 

 

The artistry of … football programs?

Fred Machetanz with his wife in Alaska, n.d.

With Homecoming season upon us, we decided to showcase the artistry of some of our old football program covers. Even better, some of the best were drawn by OSU alumni. One such artist was Fred Machetanz, an OSU alum. Between 1929, when he was still an undergrad, and 1942, Machetanz drew 37 football program covers.

Machetanz was born in Kenton, Ohio, in 1908, and he graduated from OSU with his bachelor’s degree in 1930. He earned a master’s degree in Fine Arts in 1935. He was also a member of Phi Kappa Psi, Scarlet Mask, and University Players.

Immediately after receiving his second degree, Machetanz went to visit his uncle in Alaska for short vacation. He loved the area so much, though, that he became a permanent resident, basing his artwork on the various scenes and people he saw. Shortly after arriving, he began making sketches, and he decided to illustrate a children’s book. He went to publishers in New York, only to be told that they wanted illustrations for a book about sky scrapers—if he wanted to do a book on Alaska, he would have to write it himself. Machetanz ended up publishing “Panuck, Eskimo Sled Dog,” the first of several books published for children about Alaska.

He served in the Navy during World War II, ending his service as a lieutenant commander in the Aleutian intelligence detail. He eventually made his home in Alaska, although he and his wife travelled the “Lower 48” extensively, showing documentaries and lecturing about their home state. Eventually, Machetanz became a full-time painter. He was awarded an honorary doctorate of Humane Letters at Ohio State’s Commencement ceremony in March 1984. He died at the age of 94 in 2002.

Filed by C.N.

To see some of the old football programs, go here: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/browse?value=Ohio+State+University.+Athletic+Department&type=author

You can find more football cover art on our web site:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohio-state-university-archives/sets/

 

 

 

 

Of pompons and human pyramids

A lone cheerleader in 1909

In honor of the season, we decided to look into the history of cheerleading at OSU. The first record we have of a “cheerleader” was in 1902 for Fred A. Cornell. Yep—the first OSU cheerleader was a guy. Anyway, up until 1909 there was only one cheerleader at football games; in 1909 another was added, and in 1910 a third came on board.

Cheerleaders, 1911

Scandal struck in 1914 when Miss Clara Rutherford came to a football game and performed the same cheers and “flip flops” with the official male cheerleaders—in her blouse and bloomers. Her behavior was denounced widely, and labeled “hoydenish” and “improper.” Didn’t someone say that well-behaved women rarely make history? It would not be until the 1930s that women could become official cheerleaders.

By the 1920s, six cheerleaders were performing at football games; one of these cheerleaders was Milton Caniff, the famous cartoonist (you’ll read about him in a later blog). Cheerleaders also began to travel to away games, lead rallies, and cheer at basketball games when the football season was over. At this time the Student Senate selected the cheerleaders.

1933

In the 1930s, before women joined the squad, the “Gentlemen of the Cheer” began adding more athletic stunts, including Evel Knievelesqe jumps over human pyramids—which they performed in jackets, sweaters and ties. The ’30s also marked the establishment of another favorite game-day tradition: Block O.

Around 1938 the first women’s squad was established, though they, of course, did not perform stunts. The Second World War took a toll on almost every aspect of campus, and cheerleading was no exception. With few men around, the girl cheerleaders got their own show. They also got Chris. Chris was a German Shepherd who performed tricks with the cheerleaders at half time.

First female cheerleading squad, 1938

"Chris" takes on an opponent, 1941

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the 1950s the “holler guys and gals” were selected by the two head cheerleaders and the faculty advisor. The uniform for that decade included sweaters for the men and for the women, skirts below the knee, a shirtwaist, sweater, white socks and saddle shoes. It wasn’t until 1968 that the skirts were shortened to their current length. Judging by some of the correspondence the University received at the time, Clara Rutherford was not the only one to get people riled up about proper feminine attire.

1955

1972

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Filed by C.N.

 

Older posts Newer posts