From Woody's Couch

Our Playbook on OSU History

Author: haire.14@osu.edu (page 4 of 13)

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: “3” apparently is a charm for the chemistry department

1887_chemistry_1_fire_damage

Chemistry Building #1 after fire, 1887

OSU’s chemistry department got off to a rocky start: Originally housed on the third floor of University Hall, it was soon moved to a newly constructed building on the site of, most recently, Brown Hall. When a fire started in the department’s new building in 1887, the whole structure burned down because of a lack of water to extinguish the flames.

The next chemistry building was built two years later on the site of the present Derby Hall. It burned down in 1904. A recounting of the incident said there were “ludicrous happenings due to excitement” that occurred that night.

Chemistry Building #2, 1904

Chemistry Building #2, 1904

Apparently, the firefighters were afraid of the chemicals housed in the building, so they did not try to put out the flames (whether or not the chemicals were a threat is not known). However, that did not stop students from entering the burning building and attempting to save the contents, including bottles of distilled water.

The third chemistry building, now known as Derby Hall, was rebuilt in 1906 on the site of its predecessor. It, too, caught fire soon after it was completed; however, the building was saved. Its first addition was, of course, a fire-proof storage shed for the chemicals. No doubt this helped to break the curse.

 

 

Filed by C.N.

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: Polo a “mane” event 4 OSU’s ROTC program

Polo Team, 1920s

Polo Team, 1920s

For those of you unfamiliar with the game of polo, here’s a quick primer before we get into OSU’s connection to the sport: Four players mounted on horses and equipped with long mallets try to drive a wooden ball down a field and across the other team’s goal line. Meanwhile, four players on the opposite team try to get the ball away from the first team and do the same thing. Each player has at least three horses that can be rotated in and out of play, according to certain rules. It is considered a full-contact sport, and falls, bumps and spills are part of the game. For a good idea of how it all works, read Rudyard Kipling’s short story, “The Maltese Cat.”

As to Ohio State: In the mid-1920s, Lt. Charles Horn organized the first polo team, using artillery horses owned by the U.S. Army. In 1927, 40 horses were transferred with polo equipment for use by the OSU’s ROTC program. What does the military have to do with polo? For many years, the military regarded polo as an ideal training method for officers. Many ROTC programs, as well as military bases, had horses and polo teams on hand; in fact, polo was a sport spread by the military, first by the British and then in the U.S.

Polo Team, 1942 (Charles Horn kneeling on far right)

Polo Team, 1942 (Charles Horn kneeling on far right)

Here at OSU, many of the men on the polo team were enrolled in the ROTC program, but many were also studying Veterinary Medicine; there were also some who got into the sport without wanting to be a vet of either variety.

By all accounts, polo’s heyday was the interwar era. At OSU, crowds of up to 1,000 would gather to watch games played at the polo fields south of Ohio Stadium and east of the Olentangy River. An additional field was near the site of the Fawcett Center, and the stable where the horses were housed stood near the corner of Lane Avenue and Olentangy River Road.

Polo game, 1929

Polo game, 1929

As the military provided the horses, there was actually very little cost to the players except for riding attire and travel expenses for away games. That is how OSU could afford to compete with the likes of Princeton, Harvard and Yale, as well as travel to the games. (The horses did not travel with the team; the home team would provide horses for the visitors.) In addition to competing against Ivy League teams, OSU also played teams closer to home, such as Michigan State. The Buckeyes also competed against the University of Missouri, Texas A&M and a number of military teams.

Polo ceased to be played at OSU in 1943, when the U.S. Army recalled its horses.

Twelve Days of Buckeyes: 7 “Saints” first served OSU in scholarship

University Hall

When The Ohio State University opened its doors on September 17, 1873, seven faculty members were there to teach the two dozen students who had arrived to obtain a college degree. At the time there was only one building on campus – University Hall – and it included not only classrooms, but a chapel, a library and living quarters for both students and some faculty members. The faculty lived on the top floor; consequently, that part of the building was known by students as the “Saints’ Roost.” (The students lived in the cellar, referring to it as “Purgatory.”) Thomas Mendenhall, the last surviving faculty member, recalled in 1920 that these men were underpaid, all lacking a Ph.D at the time of their appointment, and were given charge of a broad area of study that would shock the “modern” professor. Given these conditions, is it any wonder why the students came up with the “Saints” nickname?

Edward Orton, 1875

Edward S. Orton Sr. (1829 – 1899) was originally from New York where he graduated from Hamilton College at age 17. The following year he went to seminary and taught at several institutions before becoming professor, then president, at Antioch College in Ohio. A year later he was named the first President of the new Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College and the chair of Geology. Orton also developed the first campus museum in University Hall. In 1881 Orton resigned from his duties as President in order to serve as state geologist. He was 44 when he took the appointment, and held it until his death eight years later.

 

 

Robert McFarland, 1873

Robert W. McFarland (1825 – 1910) was a self-educated Scotsman, who, despite his lack of a formal education, was described as having knowledge that was “encyclopedic.” While at OSU, and in addition to his teaching duties, he apparently worked for several hours a day, six days a week, for four years, to calculate the form of the earth’s orbit and the longitude of its perihelion for the previous  five and a half million years. McFarland taught at the College until 1885 when he accepted the presidency at Miami University.

 

 

T.C. Mendenhall, 1873

Thomas Corwin Mendenhall (1841 – 1924), from Columbus, was a renowned physicist and scientist whose education was attained through public schools. He had previously taught at Columbus’ Central High School, and came to the new college for five years before leaving to join the faculty at the Imperial University of Japan. Three years later he returned to Ohio, and the College, before resigning in 1884 to pursue other academic interests. In 1919 he was named to the Board of Trustees of the renamed Ohio State University, and he served in this capacity until his death in 1924 at the age of 83.

 

 

Joseph Millikin, 1873

Joseph Millikin (1840 – 1882) taught English and modern languages and literature at the College as well as serving as the school’s librarian. Originally from Hamilton, Ohio, he graduated from Miami University at the age of 19, then attended Princeton Theological Seminary with an intent to become a minister. Known for his frail health, he came to the College in 1872 and was remembered as teaching philosophy in addition to Latin, Greek, French, German, Anglo-Saxon and the Romance languages, depending on the session. He taught at the College until 1881, at which point his poor health forced his resignation. He died in 1882.

 

 

S.A. Norton, 1888

Sidney Augustus Norton (1835 – 1918), of Cincinnati, taught at several high schools before being appointed professor of chemistry at Miami Medical College in Cincinnati, where he received his medical degree. He taught chemistry at the new College from 1873 until 1899 when he was appointed professor emeritus. Norton also had a reputation for his broad intellect, being familiar with many different branches of science, as well as history, literature and the arts.

 

 

N.S. Townshend, 1883

 

Norton Strange Townshend (1815 – 1895) was the eldest original faculty member to be appointed, at 58 years old. He first served as a Trustee for the new College, but resigned from this position so he could be named professor of agriculture. He served the University as a professor until January 1892, and afterwards was named professor emeritus. Originally from Northamptonshire, England, he journeyed with his parents to Ohio in 1830 and received his medical degree from the University of New York in 1840. He became involved with both the temperance and the anti-slavery movements, and was elected to Congress in 1850. He died at his home, on the University grounds, in 1895.

J.H. Wright, 1874

 

John Henry Wright (1852 – 1908) was both the last original faculty member to be appointed as well as the youngest, at age 21. He was born in Persia, to missionary parents, and he came to America when he was eight years old. He graduated from Dartmouth in 1873, and after arriving at what was to become Ohio State, he was one of the faculty members to live in University Hall during the college’s first year. Though he arrived with virtually no teaching experience, he was knowledgeable in the areas he taught (Ancient languages and literatures) and was said to have made a lasting impression on his students. He stayed at the college only for three years; he eventually taught at Harvard, where he also served as dean of the graduate school for many years.

Older posts Newer posts