An example of the Beaux-Arts style architecture, Ramseyer Hall was built as an experimental school for students K – 12 that was administered through OSU’s College of Education. At a cost of roughly $411,000, the building was designed by University Architect Howard Dwight Smith and was ready for fall classes to begin in 1932. In 1968, University School closed, so the building was converted into university classroom and office space for the College of Education. It was dedicated on December 11, 1969. It is named for Dr. John A. Ramseyer, a member of faculty at University School (1938-1951) and its director from 1948 to 1951. He then became a professor and served as Director of Ohio State’s School of Education from 1965 to 1968.
John H. Herrick Archives: Ramseyer Hall