The Browning Dramatic Society (associated with the Browning Literary Society), an all-girls group dedicated to performing the works of Shakespeare, was responsible for the founding of the amphitheatre on June 11, 1926. The first play to be performed in the Grecian-style amphitheatre was A Midsummer Night’s Dream. However, its use dwindled after the Browning Literary Society dissolved, and the site – still only a grass stage with tiered seating – eventually served only as study space for students. In 1985, Ohio Staters, Inc. financed the renovations to transform the space into a fully functional outdoor performance center, adding a concrete stage, electric lighting and dressing rooms.
John H. Herrick Archives: Browning Amphitheatre