Starling-Loving University Hospital
In 1917, The Ohio State University Board of Trustees announced that the abandoned homeopathy building would be incorporated into a new hospital for the medical school. A modified English Tudor addition to the homeopathic building made the hospital operational in 1924. The building was renamed Starling-Loving University Hospital in honor of Mr. Lyne Starling, a community leader and benefactor of Starling Medical College, and Dr. Starling Loving, dean of Starling Medical College (1880-1905).
By 1926, with the addition of three wings, the hospital housed 296 beds, an operating amphitheater, laboratories, a maternity department and an outpatient clinic. The main purpose was clinical teaching.
When The Ohio State University Hospital was built in the 1950′s, all hospital practices moved there. Starling-Loving University Hospital was renamed Starling-Loving Hall in 1961. It no longer serves as a hospital facility but houses offices and classrooms.
*Part six of a seven part series highlighting the history of Columbus medical centers.