Mount Carmel Medical Center
Hawkes Hospital of Mt. Carmel was founded by Dr. W. B. Hawkes (1812-1883). He donated land and gave $10,000 in United States Government bonds. Before the building was completed, Dr. Hawkes died and Dr. John W. Hamilton (1823-1898) completed the work. Dr. Hamilton secured the services of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, and formally opened the hospital in 1886. The hospital was located on West Street and Davis Avenue.
The first addition to the hospital was made in 1891. In 1906 a second building adjoining the old one was started. It contained a chapel and 120 additional private rooms for patients. Another building, consisting of 120 rooms with recreation halls, library, and three classrooms was erected and opened in 1921. This was the home for the student nurses. In 1934, on a lot to the west of the hospital, and connected with the hospital, a building for convenience of the Sisters was erected. It was a gift of Mrs. Neill Darrow.
From 1876 to1892, the hospital was operated in connection with the Columbus Medical College.
The Training School for Nurses was opened in 1903. The first graduates received their diplomas in 1906. Eight Sisters were included in the class. The school still exists today and is now the Mount Carmel College of Nursing.
Today this location is known as Mount Carmel West and is one of the four facilities that comprise the Mount Carmel Health System.
*Part five of a seven part series highlighting the history of Columbus medical centers.