This site contains teaching materials that support Choosing & Using Sources: A Guide to Academic Research. We follow an active learning approach in which students participate in demonstrations and activities rather than passively listen.
Videos linked to from this page are relevant to the Choosing & Using Sources chapters, but are not part of individual activities.
Ch. 1: Research Questions
Ch. 2: Types of Sources
Ch. 3: Sources and Information Needs
Ch. 4: Precision Searching
Ch. 5: Search Tools
Ch. 6: Evaluating Sources
- Evaluating a Source’s Neighborhood 6A
- Evaluating a Source’s Author and Publisher 6B
- Evaluating a Source’s Degree of Bias 6C
- Evaluating a Source’s Recognition 6D
- Evaluating a Source’s Currency 6E
- Evaluating Relevance (Video)
- Choosing Credible Resources for Research (Video)
- Evaluating Sources for Credibility (Video)