Submitted by Sarah Collier:
Over the summer, the Staff Advisory Council (SAC) began discussions about rebranding the SAC Mentorship Program to be more in line with the intended purpose of the program, which is to welcome newly hired staff to Libraries and be a friendly face as they learn to navigate working here. Moving forward, the Mentorship Program will now be known as the University Libraries Welcome Program.
We are asking current staff to volunteer to be partnered with new staff hires. The time commitment is 6 months to 1 year. As a Welcome Partner, you will:
- Explain the organizational structure.
- Introduce new staff to other staff/faculty.
- Arrange for visits to other library locations outside the building you work in.
- Explain the Staff Advisory Council’s structure and what role it plays.
- Talk about employee recognition programs.
- Describe communication resources like NewsNotes and listservs.
- Be a general resource for questions.
Theresa and Sarah also have plans to hold an exciting group event every month that all paired Welcome Partners will be invited to.