First boosters

Image 1 of 10

(Image: Aerial sketch of Ohio Stadium, 1920) As early as 1915, Thomas E. French, OSU Professor of Engineering, had agitated for the construction of a new, larger stadium. In 1919 the University trustees dedicated 92 acres west of Neil Avenue along the Olentangy River for its construction. The stadium proposal was endorsed by a diverse set of backers: Columbus’ mayor and former mayor; the Columbus Chamber of Commerce; the OSU Department of Art, which viewed the stadium as a new platform for the presentation of pageants; and members of the OSU Glee Club, who found in the stadium, space for “open air vocal and concert work.” Alumni were tasked to raise $1 million in one year.