Category: The Ohio State University Medical Center (page 1 of 2)

Cyclotron Labs

The Cyclotron Labs also called the Industrial X-Ray Laboratory and the Betatron Laboratory were built in 1947. The Cyclotron Labs consisted of two buildings that connected via a tunnel at the basement level. Both buildings had a basement and one story. The buildings were located at 1933 Cannon Drive. The building was never officially named by the Board of Trustees.

The cyclotron, a type of particle accelerator first manufactured in 1932, was given to the University by Julius F. Stone and was moved to this building in 1947 from its original location in building 027.

This lab no longer exists.

Kinsman Hall

Kinsman Hall was built in 1922 and was demolished in 1963. It served as the Homeopathic Science Building and a Research Animal Facility. The building was located at 374 West 10th Ave. The building had two stories and a basement.

The building was named for David Nathaniel Kinsman, AM, MD, AB, LLD (1834-1910). Dr. Kinsman was a Professor of Diseases of the Nervous System at Starling Medical College from 1890-96; Professor of Theory and Practice of Medicine at Columbus Medical College (CMC) from 1876-90; Dean of CMC from 1876-90; Professor of Principles and Practice of Medicine at Ohio Medical University (OMU) from 1897-1906; Chancellor at OMU from 1899-1905; and, Emeritus Professor of Practice of Medicine at Starling-Ohio Medical College from 1907-11.

Fry Hall

Fry Hall was built in 1951 as the Optometry Building and still serves as such. The name was changed to Fry Hall after Glenn Ansel Fry in 1983. The building has had one addition.

Glenn Ansel Fry (1908-1996) received an AB degree from Davidson College in 1929, and a MS and PhD from Duke University in 1933. Fry became director of the OSU College of Optometry in 1937 and remained here as a professor and major leader in the optometry program until 1966.

Atwell Hall

Atwell Hall was completed in 1971. The building was known as both the School of Allied Professions Building and the Allied Medical Professions Building until 2000 when it was officially named Robert J. Atwell Hall.

Robert James Atwell (1919-2006) received his BS in 1941 and his MD in 1944 from Duke University. He became a faculty member at OSU in 1950. He was Chief of Medical Services at the Ohio Tuberculosis Hospital in Means Hall and was the founding director of the OSU School of Allied Professions (SAMP). Atwell served as director of SAMP from 1971 to 1983.

Dodd Hall

Dodd Hall was built in 1961. When it was built it carried the name Ohio Rehabilitation Center but the official name was changed in 1963 to Dodd Hall after Verne A. Dodd.  The building has had one addition. Dodd Hall is the location of The Ohio State University Medical Center’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Services, a 60-bed inpatient facility providing the most comprehensive and recognized rehabilitation programming in the region.

Verne Adam Dodd (1881-1957) received his MD in 1903 from Ohio Medical University (OMU). He was a professor at OMU (1905-1907); Starling-Ohio Medical College (1907-1914); OSU (1914-1951). He served as Chief of Staff for Starling Loving Hospital (1921-48). Dodd was a beloved surgeon and teacher.

Cramblett Medical Clinic

Cramblett Medical Clinic, formerly University Hospitals Clinic, is a five-story building that serves as the site for many physician offices and outpatient services. The building was built in 1974 and is slated to be demolished in 2012 to make way for the new 20-story James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute and Critical Care Expansion.

Henry Gaylord Cramblett (1929-) received his BS in 1950 from Mount Union College and his MD in 1953 from the University of Cincinnati. Cramblett came to OSU in 1966 as chairman of the Department of Medical Microbiology. He was Dean of the College of Medicine (1973-1980) and was vice president for health sciences (1980-1982). Cramblett was instrumental in the opening of the clinic facility in 1974 and was honored with it being named for him in 1999.

Tzagournis Medical Research Facility

The Tzagournis Medical Research Facility was officially named in 1999 after Dr. Manuel Tzagournis. This eight story facility houses generic research laboratories and support facilities.

Manuel Tzagournis (1934-) received his BS in 1956 and his MD in 1960 from OSU. While doing an internship at Philadelphia General Hospital Tzagournis became particularly interested in diabetes mellitus thus leading him to practice endocrinology. Tzagournis has held numerous positions at OSU including Assistant Dean for Research and Continuing Medical Education; Secretary of the Faculty of the College of Medicine; Associate Dean; Medical Director for OSU Hospitals; Acting Dean (1980); Dean (1981-1995); Vice President for Health Sciences (1994-2002); and Vice President and President of the University’s Managed Care System.

Starling Loving Hall

Originally built as the new Homeopathic Hospital in 1917, the building became a new hospital for the medical school after an addition in 1924 made it operational. The building was renamed Starling-Loving University Hospital in 1923 in honor of Mr. Lyne Starling (1784-1848), a founder of Columbus and benefactor of Starling Medical College and Dr. Starling Loving (1827-1911), dean of Starling Medical College (1880-1905).

By 1926, with the addition of three wings, the hospital housed 296 beds, an operating amphitheater, laboratories, a maternity department and an outpatient clinic. The main purpose was clinical teaching.

When The Ohio State University Hospital was built in the 1950′s, all hospital practices moved into it. Starling Loving University Hospital was renamed Starling Loving Hall on July 14, 1961. It no longer serves as a hospital facility but rather houses offices and classrooms. The original building has had 5 additions over the years.

The top of the building also features six gargoyles: rabbit, cow, monkey, pelican, cat and horse.

Upham Hall

Upham Hall was built in 1951. It was a reinforced concrete frame with brick exterior.  It consisted of a basement with four floors and a penthouse. The building had two additions. It was located where the OSU Harding Hospital and the Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute now stand on 12th ave. Upham Hall was used for psychiatric care. It was demolished in 1998.

John Howell Janeway Upham (1871-1960) received his BS (1891) and MD (1894) from the University of Pennsylvania. He was a professor at Starling Medical College (1897-1899), Ohio Medical University (1900-1902), Starling-Ohio Medical College (1907-1914), and Ohio State (1914-1941). He served as Dean of the OSU College of Medicine from 1928-1941.

Wiseman Hall

Wiseman Hall, c.1970s

Wiseman Hall was built in 1960 and has had one addition. It serves as the major animal research facility of the College of Medicine. It was named for Bruce K. Wiseman in 1963.

Bruce Kenneth Wiseman (1896-1960) received his BS from Indiana University in 1926. He earned his M.D. from Indiana University in 1928. After an internship at Indianapolis City Hospital (1928-1930) he went to the Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research in New York, where his association with Drs. Florence Sabin and Charles Doan began. At the request of Doan, Wiseman came to OSU in 1931. He was an associate professor of medicine and associate director of medical research (1931-1935); Associate professor of medicine (1935-1938); Professor of medicine (1938-1960); Chair of the Department of Medicine (1944-1960); chief of staff of OSU Hospitals (1948-1960). Along with his colleague Doan, Wiseman made significant contributions in the field of hematology.

Older posts