Days of laborious unloading supplies and building shelters followed the Expedition’s arrival in Antarctica, resulting in a complete village that Byrd named Little America. Aside from an administration building and bunk house, the complex included three radio antenna towers, a mess hall, hangars for the airplanes, storage sheds and a machine shop that contained the first generator of electricity in Antarctica.

Little America in the making, 1928, Richard E. Byrd Papers, #7802_2.

Image 4 of 9