During the spring semester, Katie Phillips (Outreach Coordinator, Center for Urban and Regional Analysis) and I have been working together to develop a workshop introducing Ohio State faculty, staff, and students to the possible uses of the new ArcGIS StoryMaps platform for research and teaching. We originally intended to offer this as an in-person session on March 31, but like many others across the university, have transitioned to instead provide an online learning opportunity.
Since all of this content is now available online, we wanted to open it up to anyone who might be interested in completing (or reusing) the exercise. Here’s what you need to know:
- The workshop is now intended as an asynchronous online exercise that can be completed at your own pace. We expect the exercise will take most people about an hour to complete. All of the content is accessible in BuckeyeBox here: go.osu.edu/storymaps-virtual. The theme of the workshop story map is the U.S. Census, and a completed version is available here for reference.
- In BuckeyeBox, the ArcGIS StoryMaps Exercise folder contains the exercise instructions and all of the content you’ll be adding to your story map. Start with the StoryMaps_Exercise_20200331 document. The other files are referenced in the appropriate task within the exercise instructions. All of the files are available for download.
- The Additional Resources folder contains documents that may be useful for planning your own projects and assignments, along with a list of links to other available resources and relevant online training.
- We intend to keep these materials publicly available on BuckeyeBox and ArcGIS Online, until at least August 31, 2020. If you are an instructor looking for an asynchronous activity to assign to your students as part of the spring semester online transition (and possibly beyond), please feel free to reuse this activity as is or to modify it to best fit your course needs. The exercise instructions and task content files are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. If you would like to reuse this activity and have any questions before doing so, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all Ohio State affiliates, task 1 in the exercise will walk you through the process of creating/signing in to an ArcGIS Online organizational account tied to your OSU name.# and password. For anyone not affiliated with OSU, you should be able to work through the exercise in its entirety if you have an ArcGIS Online organizational account through your place of work. If you are not an OSU affiliate and you are also not part of another ArcGIS Online organization, you should be able to complete most of the activity (with the exception of a few steps related to adding specific types of content) using an ArcGIS Online public account, which you can create here: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/create-account.
- If you encounter any issues or have any questions as you work through this activity, please do not hesitate to reach out to Katie (email@example.com) and myself (firstname.lastname@example.org). If after the exercise, you would like to speak more about using ArcGIS StoryMaps for your own projects, please let us know how we can help. We’re both available for virtual consultations and would look forward to hearing from you!