The Research Commons Computer Lab (Room #360) is located on the third floor of the 18th Avenue Library, and is available to faculty, postdoc, staff, and graduate students of any discipline. The Computer Lab has 15 workstations with specialized software. These computers either have two monitors or one large infinity edge HD monitor. The room is also equipped with two HD scanners (book scanner and document feeder scanner) and projection technology.
Computer Lab Remote Access
During the Research Commons space closure due to COVID-19, Ohio State researchers will now be able to remotely access software in the Research Commons Computer Lab. Ohio State researchers can reserve remote access to a specific PC in the Computer Lab to utilize specialized software. Before logging into the online PC reservation system, please see the remote access rules below. Click the following button to be redirected to our online PC reservation system.
Computer Lab Remote Access Rules
- Research Commons Computer Lab PC reservations can only be reserved by Ohio State faculty, postdocs, and graduate students. Undergraduate students who need specialized software to complete research projects can email email@example.com to request an exception. Exceptions will be granted on a limited-basis based on availability.
- A valid Ohio State Username (name.#) is required to reserve a PC.
- You may only reserve one PC per day.
- All reservations are for a period of 7 hours (10 a.m. – 5 p.m.). Reservations can be made up to seven days in advance, but all requests must be made prior to the end of business on the day before the requested appointment time. At this time, we cannot honor same-day requests.
- Please promptly log out of the PC by 5 p.m. You will receive a warning notification if you are still on the PC near 5 p.m. Users will automatically be logged out of the PC at 5 p.m.
- Do not share login and/or password information. Passwords change frequently so you will not be able to use the same password for future reservations.
Specialized software is separated by “pods” of computer stations; Spatial and Numerical Data software is loaded on the computers in the pod closest to the door (Grey Pod) and text analysis software is loaded on computers in the pod further from the door (Scarlet Pod). For the complete list of specialized software available in the Research Commons Computer Lab, visit the Computer Lab Software Page.
All PCs in the Computer Lab are equipped with hardware that allow for research data manipulation or processing, with three PCs having advanced hardware for more robust processes. Please see the hardware information for the Computer Lab PCs below.
Scarlet/Grey PCs #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12,13, 14
- GPU: AMD Radeon Pro WX 31000
- CPU: Intel i7 9700
- RAM: 32gb
Grey PCs # 8, 9, 10
- GPU: Quadro p2000
- CPU: Intel i9 9820x
- RAM: 32gb