I am very excited to announce that on February 28, 2018 the DMPTool was updated and has some amazing new features! The DMPTool provides researchers with templates to create the high quality data management plans that are required when submitting a grant proposal to federal funding agencies.
Researchers now have the option to comment on data management plans rather than directly editing the plan text. This allows researchers to easily coordinate their plan with their collaborators.
At any time in the writing process, researchers now have the option of requesting expert feedback from the Data Management Services team at OSU. When you click the button, either myself or Amanda Rinehart, the Data Management Services Librarian, will review your plan and provide suggestions. We regularly review data management plans and often introduce researchers to helpful OSU resources. We are entirely confidential and will respond to requests within 7 days. All a researcher need do is review and incorporate any suggestions prior to downloading the final version for inclusion with their grant proposal.
- Go to dmptool.org.
- Click on “Get Started” or “Sign In.”
- Select sign in option 1.
- Search for Ohio State University in the search box.
- Log in with your OSU name.number.
- If you have never logged in before you will be taken to your profile where you can verify your information and add your ORCID ID.
- From your dashboard, select “Create Plan.”
- Fill out the plan details including the title of the project, the primary research organization, and the funding agency.
- Select “Create Plan.”
- Fill out the Project Details section, including the name of the data contact person, if this is not the same as the Principal Investigator.
- Select the plan guidance information you want to see. This will always default to the guidance tailored to OSU researchers and the general DMPTool guidance. However, if you are collaborating with a researcher at another institution and want to see their guidance language, you can search for the institution and add it. Click Submit after making the necessary changes.
- Click on Plan Overview to get an outline of the topics you will need to address in your selected template.
- After reviewing the instructions, click on Write Plan.
- Click on “Expand All” or the individual + symbols to open up the text editing area.
- Answer the questions in the text boxes, referring to the guidance language and resources as necessary, and saving your responses as you go.
- Click on the Share tab. Set the visibility for your plan, add collaborators, and request expert feedback from the Data Management Services team at OSU.
- When your plan is finalized click on Download. Select the download and format settings, and click on “Download Plan.”
If you have any questions about the DMPTool or your data management plans, please consider using the Request Feedback button or contact us at email@example.com for personalized assistance.