L Buildings

Larkins Hall

When the old Physical Education Building and the Natatorium were being built, the project was completed in two stages (the first in 1931, the second in early 1932) and used two separate contracts. The structure was also enlarged after the fire in the Armory (1958), and again in 1977.

In 1976, the building was named Larkins Hall, after Richard C. Larkins, who served as Director of Athletics from 1946-1970. Larkins also served as chair for the Department of Physical Education from 1947-1968.

Larkins first came to Ohio State as an undergraduate; he played both Varsity football and basketball, and he joined Bucket and Dipper and Sphinx. His senior year he captained the Basketball team, was elected senior class president and was awarded the prestigious Western Conference medal for scholarship and athletics. He graduated with his bachelor’s degree in Commerce in 1931 and received a master’s degree in 1935. While working on his master’s degree, he coached the Freshman Football team at Ohio State. After graduating—again—he coached the football team at the University of Rochester in New York from 1935 until 1937. He returned to Ohio State later that year as an assistant professor in physical education. He was made an associate professor in 1942. In 1946 he was named Ohio State’s Athletic Director.

In the years Larkins served as Athletic Director the number of Varsity sports increased to 18. Larkins built the intramural program from the ground up, making sports available to thousands of students each quarter. Larkins also served on multiple committees of the NCAA. He was also active in the Big 10 Committee and the National Association of Athletic Directors. He retired in 1970, after 37 years of service to the university. Larkins died in April 1977.

more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Larkins Hall

Lazenby Hall undated
Lazenby Hall

Lazenby Hall 

Named in honor of William R. Lazenby, the building was completed in October 1914 and was dedicated Feb. 5, 1915. It originally housed the Department of Horticulture and Forestry, which is fitting as Lazenby served as a professor in the department from 1881 until his death in 1916. Lazenby also founded the university’s Department of Landscape Architecture.

more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Lazenby Hall

Lincoln Tower

The structure was officially named the “Abraham Lincoln Tower” on Nov. 11, 1965, and was completed Aug. 8, 1967. The 23-story tower was named for the nation’s 16th president because he signed the Morrill Act into law in 1862, which established the system of land-grant institutions in the U.S. and thus made the founding of this university possible.

The Tower’s twin is named for Justin Morrill who authored the bill. Originally constructed as a dormitory, the lower 14 floors were converted in 1975 into office space, while the top nine floors remained student housing.

more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Lincoln Tower

Long’s Bookstore

In 1902, Ohio State student Frank C. Long established the bookstore, which was initially housed in a room in University Hall. The store relocated to a pharmacy on 11th and High before finally moving in 1909 to its well-known location on the corner of 15th and High Street.

When Long died in 1956, his son, Frank C. Long Jr. took over management of the bookstore.

The bookstore has long catered to students by selling textbook, supplies and services, but it also became known as a world-wide publisher and wholesale dealer for books needed by other colleges.

Frank Long Jr. passed away in 1998, and the Long family decided to sell the bookstore operation to Campus Partners in 2000. In 2005, Long’s bookstore closed and moved to the Gateway Center to combine with the Barnes and Noble College Bookstore.

Longaberger Alumni House, 1990s
Longaberger Alumni House, 1990s

Longaberger Alumni House

Designed by Columbus architectural firm Wandel & Schnell, construction began in the spring of 1998 on the $8.7 million project and was completed in October 1999. The campaign to finance the building received a $2 million gift from the Longaberger family, which has strong ties to the university.

Founder of the basket-making company, Dave Longaberger, served on the Ohio 4-H Foundation board and the President’s Business Advisory Committee. Tami Longaberger, a 1984 Ohio State graduate, served on Ohio State’s Board of Trustees from 1998 to 2005. Located on the west bank of the Olentangy River, the Alumni House serves as headquarters for the Alumni Association.

more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Longaberger Alumni House

Lord Hall

Nathanial Wright Lord was the first Dean of the College of Engineering and served as a professor of metallurgy and mineralogy at Ohio State from 1879 until his death in 1911.

Frank L. Packard designed the building to house the Departments of Mines and Ceramics. It also served as the home of the Engineering Experiment Station, organized in 1915. The original portion of the building was completed in March 1906, with two small additions completed in 1918 and 1941. It was built on what appeared to many to be an odd angle because it was meant to face a road that was never constructed. The 61,000-square-foot building was demolished in 2009.

more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Lord Hall