Faculty Club
As early as April 1915, a request was received by the Board of Trustees for a Faculty Club House. A building never materialized and the Faculty Club took space on the third floor of the “Administration Building” (Bricker Hall) upon that building’s completion in 1924.
Soon enough, that space became too cramped for a growing number of members, but it wasn’t until 1938 that the Board of Trustees approved the $171,000 project.
The three-story building, located on the eastern side of Orton Hall, was completed in 1940. A very minor addition to the building’s southern side was finished in 1966 at a total cost of $245,000. The Faculty Club underwent a $2 million renovation from November 1989-February 1991.
more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Faculty Club
Fawcett Center
Originally named the “Center for Tomorrow,” the building opened in May 1970 and housed, among other things, the Office of Continuing Education.
To honor Ohio State Pres. Novice G. Fawcett’s role in creating the office, the building was re-named the “Novice G. Fawcett Center for Tomorrow” by the Board of Trustees on June 2, 1972.
Fawcett was the university’s eighth president, serving from 1956 to 1972. During his 16-year tenure at Ohio State, student enrollment doubled, while 100 building construction projects were begun. Ivy grown around the old University Hall, which had been demolished in 1971, was planted around the “Alumni House” within the Fawcett Center in June 1975.
more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Fawcett Center
Garden of Constants
Created by Arizona artist Barbara Grygutis and installed in 2004, this “garden” of sculptures is located on the west lawn of Dreese Laboratory. The work was chosen from submissions by 130 artists because it best reflected the academic disciplines – Computer and Information Science and Electrical Engineering – that are now housed within Dreese Lab.
The piece consists of two major components: 10 large number sculptures scattered throughout the site, and a collection of numbers and symbols set into the main walkway pavement. These insets are the mathematical and formulaic constants used primarily in electrical engineering and computer science.
Graves Hall
The Board of Trustees named Graves Hall in July 1972, less than six months after its namesake, Dr. Grant Ostrander Graves, died. The building had been completed on March 8, 1972.
Dr. Graves was born in Columbus on Jan. 21, 1905. He was educated in the Columbus Public Schools and a graduate of East High School. He received three degrees from Ohio State: a bachelor’s degree in 1926, a master’s in 1928 and a medical degree in 1932. Graves joined the faculty as an instructor in 1929. Although he completed an internship at Duke University after the he earned his MD, he returned to Ohio State for the rest of his career.
Graves served in three departments: anatomy, medicine and radiology, with anatomy occupying most of his time. He was a life member of the College of Physicians and a Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Graves was reported to have a passion for gardening, mountain climbing and photography. He was also a devoted teacher, seeing himself as a product of public education and determined to repay that gift. His wife, Helen, was also an doctor.
Dr. Graves died on Feb. 7, 1972 at the age of 67.
more information:
John H. Herrick Archives: Graves Hall