Annie Ware (Sabine) Siebert graduated from Ohio State in 1884. She was the sixth woman to earn her degree, but the first person to earn a master’s degree from the University, which she received in 1886. Prior to her graduation, Sabine was also named the University’s first May Queen, in 1884, her senior year. The honors were bestowed by the Browning Literary Society, the first women's group on campus. In 1888 the Massachusetts Institute of Technology awarded her a bachelor of science. In 1893 she married Dr. Wilbur H. Siebert, who taught at Ohio State.
Sabine was well-known for her technique in painting ivory miniatures and for her oil portraits. Among other local organizations, Sabine was a member of the Columbus Gallery of Fine Arts (now the Columbus Museum of Art) and the League of Women Voters. In 1893, she married William Siebert, OSU Professor of History. She died in 1947.
Siebert Hall, originally an all-women's dorm on South Campus, was dedicated in September 1959. At the ceremony, an oil portrait of Siebert also was unveiled.
John H. Herrick Archives: Siebert Hall