Built on the site of the “Ohio Field,” the original structure (called the “Education Building”) was completed in 1926 and housed the College of Education. It was renamed Arps Hall in 1939 in memory of George F. Arps. Arps had served as the Dean of the College of Education from 1920-1937 and was serving as Dean of the Graduate School at the time of his death in 1939. Construction on the east and northwest wings was completed in 1959 and cost nearly $1.9 million (the original structure cost roughly $340,000). In March 1971 a university janitor was charged with arson for setting three fires in the basement, causing an estimated $10,000 worth of damages.
John H. Herrick Archives: Arps Hall