OSU Navigation Bar

The Ohio State University

University Libraries

  • Built: 1991
     
    The 18th Avenue Library actually started out as the Science and Engineering Library (SEL), in response for the need to consolidate a number of related collections that were spread across the campus. A...

  • Built: 1956
     
    Construction on the building began in the spring 1955, and the building was completed in December 1956. In March of the following year the Board of Trustees approved construction of additions. These a...

  • Built: 1986
     
    By the mid-1970s, Ives Hall, the former home of the Department of Agricultural Engineering, had become less-than-satisfactory, according to a Columbus Dispatch article: “The old stable offered littl...

  • Built: 1960
     
    Adorned with a cattle insignia on its façade, the Animal Science Building was completed in December 1960 at a cost of just over $985,000. It contains not only classrooms and laboratories, but a meat ...

  • Built: 1966
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of John F. Archer, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. Construction of the buil...

  • Built: 1897
    Razed: 1959
     
    Where Wexner Center for the Visual Arts now sits was once a far different structure known as the Armory. This massive brick building served as a multipurpose facility for military science, and men’s...

  • Built: 1926
     
    Built on the site of the “Ohio Field,” the original structure (called the “Education Building”) was completed in 1926 and housed the College of Education. It was renamed Arps Hall in 1939 in ...

  • Built: 1990
     
    Dr. Arthur G. James believed all cancer would eventually be eradicated. That belief coupled with his dedication to the idea that cancer patients need separate, specialized care, led him to lobby, camp...

  • Built: 1971
     
    Atwell Hall was completed in 1971. The building was known as both the School of Allied Professions Building and the Allied Medical Professions Building until 2000 when it was officially named Robert J...

  • Built: 1940
     
    The building was officially named on January 8, 1940 in memory of the former University Trustee Newton D. Baker (1871-1937). A West Virginia native, Baker moved to Cleveland, where he served as ma...

  • Built: 1968
     
    The tower was completed in August 1968 on the former site of the university’s veterinary clinic. The building’s name was changed from “Systems Engineering Building” to “The David F. Baker Sy...

  • Built: 1963
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of Thomas W. Barrett, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. Construction began in...

  • Built: 1969
     
    Construction began on Bevis Hall in 1967 and was completed in September 1969. The building was officially named November 13, 1969, to honor University President Howard L. Bevis, who served from 1940-1...

  • Built: 1997
     
    OSU Men’s Baseball has had a number of homes since the team started playing back in the late 1800s, but games are currently held at Bill Davis Stadium, located just west of the Woody Hayes Athletic ...

  • Built: 1963
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of John Thomas Blackburn, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. The building was ...

  • Built: 1960
     
    Formerly known as the Civil & Aeronautical Engineering Building, the building was completed in January 1960. The building was called the Civil and Aeronautical Engineering Building until May 4, 1989, ...

  • Built: 1933
    Razed: 2011
     
    In 1931, the Board of Trustees approved a proposal by the State Highway Department to build an addition to the Engineering Experiment Station (later known as Haskett Hall). Finished in 1933, the three...

  • Built: 1955
     
    The OSU Board of Trustees named this dorm “Carolyn Bradley Hall” on December 13, 1954, to honor Carolyn Bradley, a professor in Ohio State’s School of Fine and Applied Arts who had died earlier ...

  • Built: 1924
     
    Opened in 1924, Bricker Hall was originally known as the Administration Building since offices, such as the registrar, were located there. The Faculty Club also was located here on the third floor unt...

  • Built: 1903
    Razed: 2009
     
    The construction of Brown Hall, designed by Joseph N. Bradford and an example of Neoclassical architecture, began in March 1903 and was completed in time for the start of classes that fall. It was na...

  • Built: 1892
    Razed: 1991
     
    The annex to Brown Hall was assembled in stages beginning in 1892. Originally constructed as a boiler room, the boiler room eventually received an annex of its own and served as a power plant as well ...

  • Built: 1926
     
    The Browning Dramatic Society (associated with the Browning Literary Society), an all-girls group dedicated to performing the works of Shakespeare, was responsible for the founding of the amphitheatre...

  • Built: 1916
     
    Campbell Hall, completed in December 1916, was built to house the rapidly expanding home economics department. At one time, half of female undergraduates took classes in the department. In 1921, the ...

  • Built: 1940
     
    Canfield Hall is actually named for an entire family: Former OSU President James Hulme Canfield, his wife, Flavia, who founded the University Women’s Club, and their daughter, Dorothy Canfield Fishe...

  • Built: 1986
     
    The Celeste Laboratory of Chemistry was built to replace the “Sawtooth” portion of McPherson Chemical Laboratory. Construction was completed in 1986 on the facility, which was equipped classroom, ...

  • Built: 1930
     
    Cockins Hall was completed and in use by 1930. It was known as the Pharmacy and Bacteriology Building until it was officially renamed Edith Cockins Hall by the Board of Trustees on March 9, 1967. Cock...

  • Built: 1960
     
    Cancer research has been conducted at OSU since the 1940s, but it wasn’t until 1960 that the Cancer Research Center was built, at a cost of $3.6 million. In 1976 the National Cancer Institute tapped...

  • Built: 1967
     
    Located on the top level of Morrill Tower, Conaway House was named to honor the former Dean of Women, Christine Y. Conaway. Dean Conaway joined the University staff in 1937 as assistant to the dean of...

  • Built: 1941
     
    Converse Hall was built in 1941 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to house field artillery. An additional two stories were added in 1943, and it was called the ROTC Building or Military Scien...

  • Built: 1969
     
    Cunz Hall was named “The Dieter Cunz Hall of Languages” on April 10, 1969, to honor the former head of the German Department. Various language departments occupied the building until they were mov...

  • Built: 1960
     
    Denney Hall was dedicated on April 1, 1960, and named in honor of Joseph Villiers Denney, a distinguished teacher, scholar and administrator at OSU. Denney was the first chair of the Department of Rh...

  • Built: 1906
     
    Completed in 1906, Derby Hall was named on August 8, 1929, to honor Samuel Carroll Derby. Derby was a professor of Latin at OSU for 40 years (1881-1921). He also served as University Librarian for 11...

  • Built: 1951
     
    Doan Hall is part of the complex that started with the University Hospital, opened in 1951, and has grown significantly, with seven additions built since then. The Board of Trustees renamed University...

  • Built: 1961
     
    Dodd Hall was built in 1961, originally carrying the name Ohio Rehabilitation Center. Two years later the official name was changed to Dodd Hall after Verne A. Dodd, a long-time surgeon at the hospita...

  • Built: 1965
     
    The building is named for Harry R. Drackett, who graduated from Ohio State in 1907 with a bachelor of science degree in Chemical Engineering. While at OSU he was the President of the Pan-Hellenic Asso...

  • Built: 1972
     
    The Drake Union was completed in June and dedicated in August of 1972. Its stage was meant to replace the Stadium Theater, which held performances under the east side of Ohio Stadium until 1971, as we...

  • Built: 1969
     
    Opened in February 1969 on the former site of the “Cattle Building,” the building was named in honor of Erwin E. Dreese on February 5, 1977. Dreese was chair of the Department of Electrical Engine...

  • Built: 1955
     
    The original portion (facing High Street) of “the law building,” as it was known, was completed in August 1955. An addition was completed in May 1959, and the structure was dedicated during a five...

  • Built: 1950
     
    Once called the “Central Services” building, the structure was mostly completed by January 1, 1950. Its original purpose was to consolidate services, such as the laundry, stores and receiving, foo...

  • Built: 1940
     
    As early as April 1915, a request was received by the Board of Trustees for a Faculty Club House. A building never materialized and the Faculty Club took space on the third floor of the “Administrat...

  • Built: 1970
     
    Originally named the “Center for Tomorrow,” the building opened in May 1970 and housed, among other things, the Office of Continuing Education. To honor OSU Pres. Novice G. Fawcett’s role in cre...

  • Built: 2004
     
    Created by Arizona artist Barbara Grygutis and installed in 2004, this “garden” of sculptures is located on the west lawn of Dreese Laboratory. The work was chosen from submissions by 130 artists ...

  • Built: 1972
     
    The Board of Trustees named Graves Hall in July 1972, less than six months after its namesake, Dr. Grant Ostrander Graves, died. The building had been completed on March 8, 1972. Dr. Graves was bor...

  • Built: 1924
     
    The construction on the original portion of the building (facing the Oval) was begun in October 1922 and completed in June 1924. Originally called the Commerce Building, it was renamed in 1943 to hono...

  • Built: 1911
     
    This building opened as OSU’s first student union in 1911. It was the fourth student union in the nation, (behind Harvard, Princeton and Pennsylvania), and the first built at a public university. Co...

  • Built: 1964
     
    Hale Hall was originally Bradford Commons, named in honor of Joseph N. Bradford, University Architect from 1911 to 1929. Bradford Commons opened on March 2, 1964, and ceased to be a dining hall in Jun...

  • Built: 1963
     
    One of a group of North Dorms officially named on April 6, 1962, in honor of OSU’s war veterans, the building is named for William I. Halloran, an OSU alumnus who lost his life in 1941 in the attack...

  • Built: 1925
     
    The construction of Hamilton Hall, between 1923 and 1925, was seen as a major step forward in moving the departments of Medicine and Dentistry to campus from downtown Columbus locations, after their a...

  • Built: 1925
     
    Officially named Haskett Hall on May 9, 1968, the building was originally the Engineering Experiment Station and was completed in October 1925. Originally, the Photography Department was to be housed ...

  • Built: 1963
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of James W. Haverfield, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. Construction began ...

  • Built: 1893
     
    Hayes Hall was built in 1893 and is the oldest remaining building on campus. Hayes Hall was named for Rutherford B. Hayes, President of the United States, three-time governor of Ohio, and OSU Board o...

  • Built: 1967
     
    Hitchcock Hall, built on the former site of WOSU’s radio towers, was opened in February 1967. It originally cost more than $2.6 million to construct and was officially dedicated on ACE (Alumni of th...

  • Built: 1959
     
    The James R. Hopkins Fine Arts Center was officially named April 10, 1960. The original portion of the building, facing 17th Avenue, was completed in 1959. An addition to the west side, facing the Ova...

  • Built: 1966
     
    Houck House was officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, to honor two brothers: Edwin R. Houck and Ernest C. Houck, both OSU war veterans. The residence hall is one of a number of N...

  • Built: 1969
     
    Originally known as the Horticulture, Forestry and Food Technology Center, the building was completed in 1969. It contains classrooms, labs and greenhouses. The building was named on February 3, 1971,...

  • Built: 1975
     
    Independence Hall opened January 1, 1975, and it was dedicated October 23, 1976. Its construction was part of the rebuilding project of University Hall. In fact, its 746-seat auditorium was intended t...

  • Built: 1914
     
    Completed in September 1914, the Botany and Zoology Building served as the home of the biological sciences, complete with several greenhouses. It is an example of the Jacobethan Revival style, marked ...

  • Built: 1972
     
    In the late 1960s when space was becoming especially tight at Thompson Library – then known as the Main Library – a number of fixes were planned, such as finding library space elsewhere for specif...

  • Built: 1969
     
    After graduating from North High School in Columbus, Lawrence Donald Jones enrolled in 1919 in the College of Engineering at Ohio State. In 1923, he earned a bachelor of science degree in civil engine...

  • Built: 1924
     
    Never officially named by the university, the building was completed by July 17, 1924. Offices of the student newspaper, The Lantern, opened there in August of that year. The building has always house...

  • Built: 1939
     
    For nearly 40 years, June F. Kennedy dedicated her career to food science, particularly the feeding of OSU students. Kennedy, who received a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Food Science and Nutr...

  • Built: 2004
     
    Five decorative marble columns –representing classical orders of architecture - stood for several years as a placeholder for the future site of the Architecture building. The 23-foot stand-alone co...

  • Built: 1925
     
    This house was the second president’s house on campus. It was built on the site of the University astronomer’s residence and adjacent to Emerson McMillan Observatory, which was built in the 1890s...

  • Built: 1931
    Razed: 2005
     
    When the old Physical Education Building and the Natatorium were being built, the project was completed in two stages (the first in 1931, the second in early 1932) and used two separate contracts. The...

  • Built: 1914
     
    Named in honor of William R. Lazenby, the building was completed in October 1914 and was dedicated February 5, 1915. It originally housed the Department of Horticulture and Forestry, which is fitting...

  • Built: 1967
     
    The structure was officially named the “Abraham Lincoln Tower” on November 11, 1965, and was completed August 8, 1967. The 23-story tower was named for the nation’s 16th president because he sig...

  • Built: 1902
     
    In 1902, OSU student Frank C. Long established the bookstore, which was initially housed in a room in University Hall. The store relocated to a pharmacy on 11th and High before finally moving in 1909...

  • Built: 1999
     
    Designed by Columbus architectural firm Wandel & Schnell, construction began in the spring of 1998 on the $8.7 million project and was completed in October 1999. The campaign to finance the building r...

  • Built: 1906
    Razed: 2009
     
    Nathanial Wright Lord was the first Dean of the College of Engineering and served as a professor of metallurgy and mineralogy at Ohio State from 1879 until his death in 1911. Frank L. Packard designed...

  • Built: 1923
     
    Mack Hall was built as an all-women’s dorm, with the original structure completed in 1923. The original structure is the portion nearest Oxley Hall, which at that time also housed only women. Two ad...

  • Built: 1993
     
    The Math Tower was part of a three-building construction project, along with the Science and Engineering Library and a classroom building at 209 W. 18th Avenue. The total construction cost was $25.5 m...

  • Built: 2005
     
    The McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion is part of Ohio State’s Recreation and Physical Activity Center (RPAC) Aquatic Center, and is home to the varsity men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, as we...

  • Built: 1918
     
    The original Power Plant was completed in September 1918. It was later enlarged four times (1923, 1929, 1959, 1962). The structure was named to honor William C. McCracken in 1960, a year after his de...

  • Built: 1896
    Razed: 1976
     
    OSU’s first astronomical observatory was the result of a monetary gift for a telescope and astronomical equipment from Emerson McMillin, New York banker and utility executive. The building, formall...

  • Built: 1922
     
    Construction began in 1921 on McPherson Chemical Laboratory, approved after the Department of Chemistry had outgrown Derby Hall. The original structure, designed by then-University Architect Joseph Br...

  • Built: 1873
     
    Dr. Thomas C. Mendenhall, a professor of physics and mechanics, was one of the first seven professors at the University when it first opened in 1873. The laboratory was originally constructed for the ...

  • Built: 1957
     
    Never officially named by the university, the original portion of Mershon Auditorium (east side) was completed in April 1957. Col. Ralph D. Mershon, who graduated from OSU in 1890 with a degree in ele...

  •  
    Originally, Mirror Lake was a collection of bogs that were fed by an underground stream known as Neil Run. Formal development of Mirror Lake occurred in the 1890s when a philanthropist offered to bui...

  • Built: 1966
     
    Morrill Tower was dedicated on November 11, 1965 - the same day as its twin, Lincoln Tower. The groundbreaking ceremony had been held in March of 1965, and the first ten stories were completed and op...

  • Built: 1962
     
    Mary Franc Morrison was the first woman to graduate from Ohio State, receiving her bachelor of arts degree in 1879 (the University’s second graduating class). In 1881 she married a classmate, Sidney...

  • Built: 1966
     
    William "Bill" North, first came to OSU in 1909, and for a few years made up the entire university police force. Ohio State, at that time, consisted of 440 acres, all on the East bank of the Olentangy...

  • Built: 1963
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of Fred W. Norton Jr., this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. The building was par...

  • Built: 1966
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of William C. (“Bill”) Nosker, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. Construc...

  • Built: 1908
    Razed: 1923
     
    Officially christened in 1908 during the height of the temperance movement: Wielding a flask of spring water, Mrs. Estelle Clark Thompson, wife of University President William Oxley Thompson, formally...

  • Built: 1922
     
    Howard Dwight Smith, a civil engineer and Ohio State alumnus known for designing Long Island and Fifth Avenue mansions in New York, was tapped to design the Ohio Stadium. He drew a U-form design, comb...

  • Built: 1951
    Razed: 2007
     
    The Ohio Union building that opened in March 2010 is actually the university’s third Student Union. The first opened in 1911 on 12th Avenue, but it became too small when enrollment spiked after Worl...

  • Built: 2010
     
    The Ohio Union building that opened in March 2010 is actually the university’s third Student Union. The first opened in 1911 on 12th Avenue, but it became too small when enrollment spiked after Worl...

  • Built: 1893
     
    The building is named after Edward Orton Sr., OSU’s first president and Professor of Geology. His passion for this discipline is reflected throughout the building, which was constructed between 1891...

  •  
    Originally, there was no formal plan for an Oval. The space in front of University Hall was intended to be a large rectangle, in the tradition of an English manor. By 1900, however, the Oval began t...

  • Built: 1908
     
    When Oxley Hall opened in 1908, it was the first dorm on campus built specifically for women residents. Previously, girls were expected to take rooms with local families or to live in boarding houses....

  • Built: 1903
     
    Page Hall was named to honor Henry Folson Page, a lawyer and an advocate for higher education who left the University a $250,000 estate without conditions in his will. The building, intended to house ...

  • Built: 1959
     
    Park Hall is part of a complex of south-campus residence halls built during the 1950s to accommodate a growing post-war student population. The Board of Trustees officially named the dorm on September...

  • Built: 1955
     
    The Board of Trustees named Paterson Hall upon its completion on December 13, 1954, in honor of Alma Paterson. The building was dedicated on May 7, 1955. Alma Paterson was an alumna of Ohio State ...

  • Built: 2005
     
    Construction began in 2002 and was completed in 2005 on the site of the old Welding and Engineering Lab. The building also marks the beginning of OSU’s selective investment program, which was meant ...

  • Built: 1927
     
    Designed by architecture professor Howard Dwight Smith, Pomerene was built in two phases. The 1922 section contained a gymnasium, where women's physical education classes were held, and social rooms. ...

  • Built: 1950
     
    On May 13, 1948, a ground-breaking ceremony was held for what we know today as Postle Hall, formerly known as the Dentistry Building. In 1976 the building was renamed to honor Wendell D. Postle, forme...

  • Built: 2005
     
    The Psychology Building, which cost $35 million to build, contains 30,000 square feet of lab research facilities, a clinic, classrooms and computer labs. It opened in 2005....

  • Built: 1932
     
    An example of the Beaux-Arts style architecture, Ramseyer Hall was built as an experimental school for students K – 12 that was administered through OSU’s College of Education. At a cost of roughl...

  • Built: 1967
     
    The building was officially named by the Board of Trustees on September 14, 1965 in memory of Alice Rebecca Raney. The building opened for service as a co-ed dining hall and study facility in January ...

  • Built: 1856
    Razed: 1949
     
    The Rickly House was located where Mershon Auditorium stands today, at 1873 High Street near 15th Avenue. The house was designed in the French Style and built by a marble monument maker, Joseph Stri...

  • Built: 2005
     
    Built to replace the outdated Larkins Hall complex, construction began on the RPAC in 2003. Portions were opened in 2005, and the project was completed by January 2007 at a cost of $140 million. The ...

  • Built: 1998
     
    The building was officially named “The Jerome Schottenstein Center” by the Board of Trustees on February 6, 1998, and construction was completed in October of 1998 at a cost of $115 million. Jerom...

  • Built: 1963
     
    Officially named by the Board of Trustees on April 6, 1962, in memory of Robert R. Scott, this residence hall and other North Dorms were built in honor of OSU’s war veterans. The building was part o...

  • Built: 1957
     
    Annie Ware (Sabine) Siebert graduated from Ohio State in 1884. She was the sixth woman to earn her degree, but the first person to earn a master’s degree from the University, which she received in 1...

  • Built: 1959
     
    The Board of Trustees officially named Smith Hall on September 1, 1958, in memory of University Architect Howard Dwight Smith. The building was mostly complete by June 1959, and it opened for the foll...

  • Built: 1956
     
    Officially named "St. John Arena" on September 7, 1954, the structure was completed November 1, 1956. The first game played in the 13,897-seat arena was between the Buckeyes and Butler University’s ...

  • Built: 1960
     
    For his nearly 60 years of service to the University, the Board of Trustees officially named this dorm on September 1, 1958, in memory of Carl E. Steeb, University Business Manager and Secretary of th...

  • Built: 1937
     
    Stillman Hall opened in September 1937, its eclectic mix of styles a characteristic of projects built through the federal Works Progress Administration. Also notable is the motto carved onto the front...

  • Built: 1959
     
    OSU President Novice Fawcett dedicated Stradley Hall, along with Park and Smith halls, on October 17, 1959. Construction on the then-men’s dorm began in 1957 and was mostly completed by January 1959...

  • Built: 1913
     
    The original building, finished in December of 1913, and its three additions (completed in 1926, 1929 and 1950) were built for the Ohio Historical Society, which had received permission to build a mus...

  • Built: 1966
     
    The building was officially named on September 7, 1962, in memory of Jacob B. Taylor, a University Vice President and Treasurer who led OSU’s post-World War II expansion program. Construction began ...

  • Built: 1913
     
    The first library on campus opened with the first classes in University Hall, the only building on campus when the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College began in 1873. The library was located on th...

  •  
    Because of their admiration for President William Oxley Thompson, the classes of 1923, 1925, 1926, and 1928 resolved to create a “life-sized” figure of the president to stand on the west end of th...

  • Built: 1873
     
    Townshend Hall was officially named on May 19, 1896, to honor Dr. Norton S. Townshend, one of seven founding faculty when the University opened its doors in 1873. He also was one of the first Board of...

  • Built: 1873
    Razed: 1971
    Rebuilt: 1976
     
    On the first day of classes in September 1873, the students entered an unfinished University Hall. This first building on campus was a classroom building, library, administrative office building, and...

  • Built: 1951
    Razed: 2011
     
    Vivian Hall was built in 1951 as the Agricultural Laboratories building and named in 1958 after Alfred Vivian, former Dean of the College of Agriculture. Alfred Vivian graduated from the University of...

  • Built: 1979
     
    Construction on Weigel Hall, which houses the School of Music’s administrative offices, began in June of 1977 and was completed during the first week of June 1979. It was named by the Board of Trust...

  • Built: 1989
     
    The Wexner Center for the Arts was built on the site of the old Armory at a cost of about $45 million, and opened in 1989. Dedicated to visual arts, particularly those using technologies such as vide...

  • Built: 1969
     
    Officially the “John W. Wilce Student Health Center,” the building opened in November 1969. Wilce was the head football coach at OSU from 1913 to 1928, and he used his salary to help pay for medic...

  • Built: 1960
     
    The original portion of the building (south side) was completed on February 1, 1960. In 1966 an addition was built on the north side of the building; it was completed by October 1968. The Board of Tru...

  • Built: 1927
     
    An example of the Tudor Revivalist style, the Women’s Field House was completed in the spring of 1927. A barn—the first structure built by the university in 1871—had been demolished, and stone f...