In 1917, the Ohio State University Board of Trustees announced that the abandoned homeopathy building would be incorporated into a new hospital for the medical school. A modified English Tudor addition to the homeopathic building made the hospital operational in 1924. The building was renamed Starling-Loving University Hospital in honor of Mr. Starling, a community leader and benefactor of Starling Medical College and Dr. Loving, dean of the OSU Medical School (1880-1905).
By 1926, with the addition of three wings, the hospital housed 296 beds, an operating amphitheater, laboratories, a maternity department and an outpatient clinic. The main purpose was clinical teaching.
When The Ohio State University Hospital was built in the 1950’s, all hospital practices moved into it. Starling-Loving University Hospital was renamed Starling Loving Hall on July 14, 1961. It no longer serves as a hospital facility but rather houses offices and classrooms. The original building has had 5 additions over the years.
The building also features six gargoyles: bunny, cow, monkey, pelican, cat and horse.