The Hilandar Research Library recently acquired a copy of A History of Servia, and the Servian Revolution, from Original Mss. and Documents. London: John Murray, 1848. 8vo. xxiv, 477,  pp. Translated from the German of Leopold Ranke by Mrs. Alexander Kerr. Second edition.
An exquisite painting of “St. Paul’s cathedral viewed from the Thames, with a sailboat manned by two men in the foreground drifting by Blackfriars Bridge” is preserved on the volume’s fore-edge.
The book is bound in 19th-century gilt red morocco with a crowned double-headed eagle stamped on the front cover. There is an attempt to spell out in Cyrillic “Благоверны Кнезь Лазарь Србскый” followed by a date using Cyrillic letters and then “Бжѥю млтію.”
Purchase of this volume was made possible by a generous donation from Alex Machaskee.
Thanks to Eric J. Johnson, Curator of Early Books and Manuscripts, OSU Libraries, for bringing this volume to the attention of the Hilandar staff.