From the Director

By Carol Pitts Diedrichs, Director of The Ohio State University Libraries

From the Director – January 25, 2011 – Admin Plus Meeting

Background

One of the promises in our new organizational structure was the creation of an expanded Executive Committee group which would involve a larger group of department heads.  This group’s primary focus is on the University Libraries but will include representation from Health Sciences, Law, and the regional campus libraries.  The goal of this group is to concentrate on University Libraries strategy with the input of this larger group of partners.  I have taken to calling this group Admin Plus but would welcome your help to identify a good name for the group.  Here are a few alternative suggestions which have come up since I announced this group at the December faculty meeting:

  • Director’s Cabinet
  • P-Admin (pronounced pad-min)
  • Administrative Advisory Council or Committee

The point of this group is to experiment with a new approach, including a larger group similar to a department heads meeting. While there will be some reporting elements to each meeting, the primary purpose of the meeting is to engage in discussion of substantive issues of interest to the OSU Libraries.

Concept

This group will meet every other month in lieu of the Executive Committee and would include the Director, Associate /Assistant Directors, and Department Heads from University Libraries as well as appropriate representation from Law, Health Sciences and Regional Campus Libraries.  The definition of a department head is not a simple one and is definitely subject to a variety of interpretations.  The Faculty and Staff Advisory Councils will also be represented on the group.  In the next section, we have defined the membership of this group after some weeks of discussion.  The agenda of this group will be established each meeting by one of the members of the group in a standard rotation.  This approach will allow individual departments to highlight their areas as well as raise topics of interest to them for discussion.

The standard agenda will have 3 main components:

  • Executive Committee agenda items
    • Includes call for agenda items from other unit
  • Host department/unit highlights or topics for discussion
  • Substantive issue for discussion

Proposed Participants (31 to 33 total)

  • Director and members of the Executive Committee (7)
    • Director of Univesity Libraries
    • Associate Director for Collections, Technical Services and Scholarly Communication
    • Associate Director for Information Technology
    • Assistant Director for Planning and Administration
    • Associate Director for Research and Education
    • Associate Director for Special Collections and Area Studies
    • Assistant to the Director
  • Those who lead traditional departments or units (17)
    • Business Office
    • Cataloging
    • Circulation
    • Collections
    • Communications
    • Facilities/Security
    • Human Resources
    • Interlibrary Services
    • Monographs
    • Outreach & Engagement
    • Preservation
    • Reference and Research
    • Scholarly Resource Integration
    • Serials and Electronic Resources
    • Special Collections Cataloging
    • Teaching and Learning
    • Web Implementation Team
  • A representative of Special Collections — currently proposed to be the Special Collections coordinator (a position which rotates annually) (1)
  • A representative of Area Studies (1)
  • Two representatives of subject librarians (2)
  • A representative from the regional campus libraries (1)
  • Directors of the Health Sciences and Law Libraries (2)
  • Representation from the Faculty and Staff Advisory Councils (0-2)

Membership will be revisited once the new organizational structure has been in place for 6-12 months to see if any adjustments are needed.  While there are others that could be included in such a group, expanding much beyond the possible 33 noted above would begin to make the group unwieldy.

Selection of Representatives

Area Studies representative

A call for volunteers will be made by the Associate Director for Special Collections and Area Studies.  Based on that list of volunteers, the AD will make a recommendation to the Director of University Libraries for appointment.  The term served is 1 year.

Special Collections representative

Since Special Collections already has a process for selecting an individual who serves a coordinator of the Special Collections Roundtable, that individual will also serve in this capacity.  That position rotates annually.

Subject Librarian representatives

A call for volunteers will be made by the Associate Director for Research and Education.  Based on that list of volunteers, the AD will make a recommendation to the Director of University Libraries for appointment.  The term served is 1 year.

Regional Campus representative

A call for volunteers will be made by the Director of University Libraries.  Based on that list of volunteers, the Director will make an appointment.  The term served is 1 year.

Faculty and Staff Advisory Councils representation

Members of these advisory councils often overlap with individuals who will already serve on the Admin Plus group by virtue of their position.  In order to keep the group to a manageable size, one that can engage in productive discussion, representation will first be reviewed to see if any current members of the council(s) are already on the group by virtue of their position.  If so, that individual will also serve as the representative from the Faculty or Staff Advisory Council.  If not, the Council(s) will be asked to identify a representative.

Expectations for Representatives

Individuals who serve as representatives on the group have a unique role.  Not only will they represent their own thoughts on issues, they will be asked to represent the larger group of colleagues in their area.  Representatives are expected to engage with the appropriate Associate Director to ensure that issues discussed by the group are conveyed back to the larger group of constituents.

Schedule and Agenda

This group will meet six times a year – February, April, June, August, October, and December.  Responsibility for planning a portion of each meeting will rotate by department/unit.   A website for the committee and a listserv for communication is under development.

Schedule for 2011

  • February 23, 2011 – sponsored by Planning and Administration
  • April 27, 2011 – sponsored by IT
  • June 22, 2011 – sponsored by Area Studies
  • August 24, 2011 – sponsored by Collections, Technical Services and Scholarly Communications
  • October 26, 2011 – sponsored by Research and Education
  • December 2011 – sponsored by Special Collections
  • February 2012 – sponsored by Collections, Technical Services and Scholarly Communications
Posted in Public, Staff |

Comments are closed.