Beanies of the Big Ten
Among the many traditions endured by the freshmen of the past, beanies are one of the most consistent across different college campuses, especially in the Big Ten. Of the fourteen schools currently in the conference, only Iowa* had no such tradition.
The details vary from campus to campus, but there are many similarities. Click through the hats at the top to find the common threads that tie all of their stories together as well as the differences that reflect each campus's unique culture. We hope you enjoy!For more information about the archival collections these materials come from, click below:
- University of Illinois Archives
- Indiana University Archives
- University of Maryland Archives
- Bentley Historical Library (University of Michigan)
- Michigan State University Archives and Historical Collections
- University of Minnesota Archives
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Archives and Special Collections
The Ohio State University Libraries / Conditions of Use
The materials on this Website have been made available for use in research, teaching and private study.
For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) materials from this site without further permission the condition that you provide the following attribution of the source on all copies: http://library.osu.edu/projects/beanies