Knowledge Bank Instructions:
School of Earth Sciences Senior Theses
If you are submitting an Honors Research Thesis (for graduation with "Honors Research Distinction") or an Undergraduate Research Thesis (for graduation with "Research Distinction"), please follow the Submission Instructions for Undergraduate Research Theses and Honors Research Theses.
Instructions for submitting to the School of Earth Sciences Senior Theses collection in the Knowledge Bank. If you have questions or problems with the procedures below, please send a message to email@example.com.
- MANDATORY: Register with the Knowledge Bank
- MANDATORY: Fill out authorization form
- Delay of Dissemination process and request form
- Converting Word to PDF instructions
- Submission Guidelines for Senior Theses
If you would like to request a delay of dissemination (embargo) of your thesis in the Knowledge Bank, please contact your thesis advisor before submitting your thesis. To request a one, three, or five year embargo, a Delay of Dissemination form signed by you and your thesis advisor must be submitted to the Geology Library along with the paper copy of your thesis.
Whether or not you request a delay, you must complete steps 1-7 below to electronically submit your thesis. You will have an opportunity in the submission process to alert the Libraries that your thesis should not be made available in the Knowledge Bank immediately.
- Go to: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/
- Click on "Register" in the left-hand column under "My Account"
- On the registration screen that displays, type in your OSU email address and click on [Register].
2. Check your email and set your password for the Knowledge Bank.
- Retrieve messages from your OSU email address.
- You will receive an email from the Knowledge Bank that contains a link to a web page in the Knowledge Bank that allows you to set your password.
- Click on that link and set your password.
Note: The email you receive is generated by the system and not a person so if you have questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Check to see if you can log into your account
- Go back to: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/
- Click on "Login" under "My Account"
- Type in your email address and password and click "sign in". A screen should display that reads "Submissions & workflow tasks".
- Click on "Logout" to log out.
4. Fill out the web form below and click on [Submit] to inform the Knowledge Bank staff that you have registered. They will authorize you to submit your thesis to the appropriate collection. Knowledge Bank staff will send you an e-mail when you have been authorized. If you have not heard back from Knowledge Bank staff within two business days, please email email@example.com.
Once authorized, when you click on "start a new submission" after logging in you will see the name of the Senior Theses collection in the collection dropdown on the "Select a collection" screen. Before you are authorized this collection will not be available.
5. Convert your thesis to PDF format. (Microsoft Word documents will not be accepted.)
Instructions for converting a Word document to a PDF are available at: http://library.osu.edu/assets/Documents/SEL/QuickConvertWordPDF.pdf
Note: Please do not use spaces or special characters in your PDF filename. Spaces and special characters — such as [ , ] , ( , ) , ! , é , and ü — can prevent access to your thesis via the web once it is in the Knowledge Bank. Examples of properly named PDFs include: your_name_thesis.pdf, name_thesis_20090602.pdf. Also, please remember that the filename of your thesis will be visible to the general public.
6. Submit your thesis to the Knowledge Bank.
- Go to: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/
- Click on "Login"
- Click on "start a new submission"
- Follow the submission guidelines for details on how fill out the online submission form.
Note: As a repository for digital assets, OSU's Knowledge Bank acts as a permanent archive. All items submitted remain as is at the time of submission, just as books once published remain in the form in which they were printed. PDF files once placed in the Knowledge Bank will not be modified.
Problems? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. Your work is done but it may take the Knowledge Bank staff 2 to 3 business days to add your thesis to the Knowledge Bank. The system will send an email to you when it has been added informing you of the web address of your thesis. Items in the Knowledge Bank are indexed by Google but it may take two weeks before you will be able to find it in Google.