How to Find Dissertations and Theses
- Find a Dissertation Written by an Ohio State Students
- Find a Dissertation Written by Students at Other Universities in Ohio
- Search for Dissertations Worldwide
- Request a Dissertation or Thesis Through Interlibrary Services
- Non-OSU users and OSU Theses & Dissertations
Find a Dissertation Written by an Ohio State Student
You can search the OSU Catalog for dissertations by:
Using the catalog's Advanced search and using the Material Type limit to OSU THESIS
Click on the department, division, college, or school name below to see a list of that department's dissertations since 1986 available from OSU Libraries. Note: multiple listings may be present due to organizational name changes. The list of titles from the library catalog will open in a new tab/window.
If you would like to request an OSU dissertation or thesis that is available only in print to be digitized, please see details on making a dissertation/thesis scanning request.
Find a Dissertation Written by Students at Other Universities in Ohio
Many colleges and universities in Ohio are placing recent dissertations and some theses in the OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center, which contains PDFs. Most items are post-2002 items, but there is a selection of pre-2002 items. At the OhioLINK Electronic Theses and Dissertations Center site, you can
- Search the full text of dissertation and theses,
- Browse by school and department, or
- Browse by author.
If you do not find what you are looking for, you can search the OhioLINK catalog Advanced Search for print and select electronic dissertations and theses at Ohio colleges and universities. - use the Other Material Types limit of THESIS/DISS.
Search for Dissertations Worldwide
Search Proquest Dissertations & Theses for dissertations from colleges and schools in the U.S. and Canada and select schools in other countries. Full-text is available for dissertaions after 1997 (and some even earlier). If you are looking for items from a specific institution, choose School name/code from the drop down menu next to a search box. A "Browse schools" link will appear next to the search box to assist you with school names. You may also search departments, subjects, author, abstract, title, and more.
Other Websites with Dissertations & Theses include:
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal - over 370,000 open access European theses/dissertations.
- Theses Canada Portal
- Australasian Digital Theses Program
- EThOS: electronic theses online service (UK and Ireland)
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (Various University and Countries represented)
- WorldCat Dissertations and Theses (International coverage)
- Google (Place quotation marks ("") around the titles you search)
See our Research Databases: Dissertation and Theses page for more search tools.
Request a Dissertation or Thesis Through Interlibrary Services
OSU students, faculty and staff may request copies of dissertations & theses which are not available either electronically or in print from the OSU Libraries, OhioLINK, or the any of the sites listed on the OSU Libraries Research Databases: Dissertations and Theses page from Interlibrary Services. Please provide as much information as you can about the dissertation or thesis you desire when making your request.
Non-English Dissertations are often difficult for the OSU Libraries to obtain. Additional options for obtaining a copy of particular Dissertation or Thesis include purchasing a copy directly from:
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses if available, or the
- CRL Demand Purchase Program. Please ask Interlibrary Services for assistance with this. Note: this option may take several months.
Theses and dissertations not found in the OhioLINK ETD Center can be scanned and delivered as a free PDF. Any individual may email firstname.lastname@example.org directly to make a digitization request. Please include the following information: Author, Title, & Call Number (see our catalog). After scanning the material, we will email you a link to the PDF on our local server. PDFs will be stored on the server for 15 days.
Still need help? Please contact Danny Dotson for assistance.