Hale Hall was originally Bradford Commons, named in honor of Joseph N. Bradford, University Architect from 1911 to 1929. Bradford Commons opened on March 2, 1964, and ceased to be a dining hall in June 1973. On November 4, 1989, the building was renamed the Frank W. Hale, Jr. Black Cultural Center. Hale served as associate dean of the Graduate School from 1971 to 1978 when he was appointed Vice Provost for Minority Affairs. Hale retired in 1988, but returned to OSU in 1992 when President E. Gordon Gee named him as special counsel to address race relation issues. In 1999, President William E. Kirwan appointed him as a University representative for student recruitment, fund raising and alumni relations.
John H. Herrick Archives: Hale Hall