In 1954, a master of science program in nursing was developed with a focus in Medical Surgical Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing and Pediatric Nursing and prepared nursing students for an education or leadership position.

This program was the first master’s program offered by a public university in Ohio.  The master’s program in nursing received its initial accreditation from the National League of Nursing in 1955.